Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Glacial Wood, master carver to design Minnesota church wall

Glacial Wood Products teamed up with master wood carver Konstantinos Papadakis to create a wall of wood icons that will be featured in a Rochester, Minn., church.
Papadakis, of Minneapolis, began carving wood at the age of 9, and has had his work featured in churches, homes, offices and buildings around the world. His latest project is to create an iconostasis, which is a wall of icons separating the nave from the sanctuary in a church. Glacial Wood's Dick Johnson is working with Papadakis on the creation, which is expected to be completed in summer 2011.
“[Glacial Wood Products] does what I ask them to do. You see I’m an old man with an old tradition. I like the old traditional way. I like things to be done the correct way. Glacial Wood Products communicates well with me and they do what I’m asking for. They do my job well,” said Papadakis.
Once the wood carving project is completed, photographs will be displayed on Glacial Wood's website and Papadakis' website.

No comments: